Saturday, April 16, 2011

More Birthday!

So many people I know just hate having birthdays and I just don't understand it. Why would you hate a day that is all about you? I could do without the getting older part - I haven't come to terms with that yet - the whole, "wrinkles are the beauty marks of life experiences..." is lost on me but having everyone I know tell me how wonderful I am for an entire day (or week, ahem) I TOTALLY get!
It has become a birthday tradition to travel to Portland and stay at Chez Danelli's and hang out with the girls. We always try to book my trip around the Tulip festival. This year I came up earlier that usual which meant that it was a little cooler than in years past and the tulips were not as open as they usually are - but that was ok - there were still Tulips as far as the eyes can see (sorta) and the cow train was running! This is Sophie riding Lilly - she looks much cuter in her cow than I do in mine...


Here I am in Elsie. If I thought anyone was actually still reading my blog I would have never posted this picture - despite the fact that the ride is so bumpy that you suffer from whiplash for a few days and that you are sitting in a cow, it really is a fun little tradition. Dani informed me that I was on my own next year - she will not be sitting in a cow ever again...


Here I am in 2008 riding the wooden shoe - it hadn't been brought out yet this year so I had to settle for Elsie.

And here are the Tulips! That little speck of red in the distance that is not a Tulip is actually Sophie - Yes, she is picking a Tulip. No, you are not supposed to pick the Tulips. Yes, we weren't paying attention and didn't realize said flower was being picked until we got home and I took a look at the pictures. See how it is all about me around my birthday - celebrating me even prevented Dani from keeping an eye on her child. And here is one of at least 100 reasons why I love visiting Chez Danelli on my birthday (or anytime of year). She always makes sure there are soft pink Tulips in the guest room and she always makes sure we visit our favorite boutiques - this bag is from My Mother Knows - I KNOW my mother would have loved this place, as well as loved Danelli.

As always, it was a fabulous trip to Portland - I actually get to go back in June to make the cake for Sophie's Princess Party!

2 comments:

Jill said...

What a great birthday tradition! I love tulip festivals AND birthdays so this would be a happy combo for me too.


To answer your question from my blog...we'll probably have lunch in the Wilk around noon on Friday, it will be good to see you again.

Edinburgh Flats said...

This is one of the most sophisticated birthday party's i have ever seen. I will be stealing a few of your ideas. Hope you won't mind.